REFLECTOR:Nose Gear Shimmy

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:51:23 -0400


TEC wrote: 

I have had the Cleveland brakes since day one.  I have been through 2 sets
of 
disks due to warpage from receptive heating (over 600hrs), yet never have 
lost braking.  The symptom is nose shimmy as one brake grabs the warped
disk.  
Changing the disks provides instant relief.  My nose tube is at 50#. 

TEC 

50# of what?  Air pressure in tire?  Force necessary to turn the nose gear?
I don't know the technical term for the "force" but was described to me as
the force to turn the nose wheel when a fish line is tied to an axle, the
line routed across the front of the nose tire, then pulled perpendicular to
the longitudinal axis of the tire (to the side) and measured with a fish
scale.  Surely that's not the 50# your talking about?