REFLECTOR:Nose Gear Shimmy

Al Gietzen reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:31:51 -0700


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C35C49.01364E10
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 

Perhaps this discussion has gone as far as it can go on one data point.
There could have been other factors that caused the shimmy.  We don't
really know that is a pressure/shimmy relationship.

 

Don't ask me how we are going to get more data.  I can't imagine someone
volunteering to back off the turning force a little, and then doing a
series of landings at different pressures.

 

Al

 

Bob,

 

That's certainly interesting.  How much braking does it take to get your
nose to break loose?  I wonder if the choices are:

 

1.    Carry high pressure in the nose gear but have tight forks to
compensate, or

 

2.    Carry lower pressure in the nose gear and be able to loosen the
forks which permits easier steering.

 

Are these false alternatives?  Other than an ever so slight increase in
take-off roll from the extra friction of a low pressure front tire, I
don't see the downside of the low pressure/loose(r) fork option.  

 

Note:  "loose forks" is a relative term and doesn't relate to any value
other than something less than the recommended 15-20 psi.  If I spoke to
my attorney, I'm sure he would say I should say "Experiment at Your Own
Peril."

 

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of SlvEgl99@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 2:26 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Nose Gear Shimmy

I always try to carry 40 in the nose gear of my XL, 45 in the mains. Had
shimmy, but did not happen again once I tightened the fork.

Bob Wood 


------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C35C49.01364E10
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">


<meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 10 (filtered)">

<style>
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Verdana;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{font-family:Verdana;
	color:blue;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>

</head>

<body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue vlink=3Dpurple>

<div class=3DSection1>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dblue face=3DVerdana><span =
style=3D'font-size:
11.0pt;font-family:Verdana;color:blue'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dblue face=3DVerdana><span =
style=3D'font-size:
11.0pt;font-family:Verdana;color:blue'>Perhaps this discussion has gone =
as far
as it can go on one data point. &nbsp;There could have been other =
factors that
caused the shimmy.&nbsp; We don&#8217;t really know that is a =
pressure/shimmy
relationship.</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dblue face=3DVerdana><span =
style=3D'font-size:
11.0pt;font-family:Verdana;color:blue'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dblue face=3DVerdana><span =
style=3D'font-size:
11.0pt;font-family:Verdana;color:blue'>Don&#8217;t ask me how we are =
going to
get more data.&nbsp; I can&#8217;t imagine someone volunteering to back =
off the
turning force a little, and then doing a series of landings at different
pressures.</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dblue face=3DVerdana><span =
style=3D'font-size:
11.0pt;font-family:Verdana;color:blue'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dblue face=3DVerdana><span =
style=3D'font-size:
11.0pt;font-family:Verdana;color:blue'>Al</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dblue face=3DVerdana><span =
style=3D'font-size:
11.0pt;font-family:Verdana;color:blue'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dblue face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Bob,</span></font=
></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dblue face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>That's certainly
interesting.&nbsp; How much braking does it take to&nbsp;get your nose =
to break
loose?&nbsp; I wonder if the choices are:</span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dblue face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>1.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;
Carry high pressure in the nose gear but have tight forks to compensate, =
or</span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dblue face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp; Carry
lower pressure in the nose gear and be able to loosen the forks which =
permits
easier steering.</span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dblue face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Are these false
alternatives?&nbsp; Other than an ever so&nbsp;slight increase in =
take-off roll
from the extra friction of a low pressure front tire, I don't see the =
downside
of the low pressure/loose(r) fork option.&nbsp; </span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dblue face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Note:&nbsp; =
&quot;loose
forks&quot; is a relative term and doesn't relate to any value other =
than
something less than the recommended 15-20 psi.&nbsp; If I spoke to my =
attorney,
I'm sure he would say I should say &quot;Experiment at Your Own =
Peril.&quot;</span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;</span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dblue face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>Chuck</span></fon=
t></p>

</div>

<blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>

<p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:12.0pt;margin-left:
.5in'><font size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>-----Original
Message-----<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>From:</span></b> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org
[mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>On =
Behalf Of
</span></b>SlvEgl99@aol.com<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Sent:</span></b> </span></font><font =
size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>Wednesday,
 August 06, 2003</span></font><font size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'> </span></font><font size=3D2 =
face=3DTahoma><span
 style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>2:26 =
PM</span></font><font size=3D2
face=3DTahoma><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'><br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>To:</span></b> =
reflector@tvbf.org<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Subject:</span></b> Re: =
REFLECTOR:Nose Gear
Shimmy</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial
FAMILY=3DSANSSERIF><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>I =
always try
to carry 40 in the nose gear of my XL, 45 in the mains. Had shimmy, but =
did not
happen again once I tightened the fork.<br>
<br>
Bob Wood</span></font><font face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-family:Arial'> </span></font></p>

</blockquote>

</div>

</body>

</html>

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C35C49.01364E10--