REFLECTOR:Nose Gear Shimmy

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:48:24 -0400


This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35C53.B3B36BD0
Content-Type: text/plain

Bob,
 
That's certainly interesting.  How much braking does it take to get your
nose to break loose?  I wonder if the choices are:
 
1.    Carry high pressure in the nose gear but have tight forks to
compensate, or
 
2.    Carry lower pressure in the nose gear and be able to loosen the forks
which permits easier steering.
 
Are these false alternatives?  Other than an ever so slight increase in
take-off roll from the extra friction of a low pressure front tire, I don't
see the downside of the low pressure/loose(r) fork option.  
 
Note:  "loose forks" is a relative term and doesn't relate to any value
other than something less than the recommended 15-20 psi.  If I spoke to my
attorney, I'm sure he would say I should say "Experiment at Your Own Peril."
 
Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
SlvEgl99@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 2:26 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Nose Gear Shimmy


I always try to carry 40 in the nose gear of my XL, 45 in the mains. Had
shimmy, but did not happen again once I tightened the fork.

Bob Wood 


------_=_NextPart_001_01C35C53.B3B36BD0
Content-Type: text/html

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">


<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Bob,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>That's 
certainly interesting.&nbsp; How much braking does it take to&nbsp;get your nose 
to break loose?&nbsp; I wonder if the choices are:</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>1.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Carry high pressure in the nose gear but have tight 
forks to compensate, or</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Carry lower pressure in the nose gear and be able to 
loosen the forks which permits easier steering.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Are 
these false alternatives?&nbsp; Other than an ever so&nbsp;slight increase in 
take-off roll from the extra friction of a low pressure front tire, I don't see 
the downside of the low pressure/loose(r) fork option.&nbsp; 
</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Note:&nbsp; "loose forks" is a relative term and doesn't relate to any 
value other than something less than the recommended 15-20 psi.&nbsp; If I spoke 
to my attorney, I'm sure he would say I should say "Experiment at Your Own 
Peril."</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=642144618-06082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma 
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org 
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of 
  </B>SlvEgl99@aol.com<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, August 06, 2003 2:26 
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Nose Gear 
  Shimmy<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 face=Arial 
  size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF">I always try to carry 40 in the nose gear of my XL, 
  45 in the mains. Had shimmy, but did not happen again once I tightened the 
  fork.<BR><BR>Bob Wood</FONT> </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35C53.B3B36BD0--