REFLECTOR:Pictures
Greg Poole
reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 10:25:57 +1000
..back everything Mr Black indicates. Being also a Maule owner and
interested in the homebuilt equivalent (read; copy) I also lurk on the
Bearhawk list and am amazed at how more interesting (despite several guys
who insist on posting pictures bigger than what can be seen at once on the
screen) the Bearhawk site is because posters regularly attach pictures.
Mind you, I do very much like the better etiquette that is observed in my
home List (the Reflector). When the posts degenerate to personal to's and
fro's and/or pictures with no relevance to the list topic on Bearhawk or
Canards lists, I "just about blows me fuse!"
Looking forward to some good OSH velocity pictures rather than photo
promotions.
Greg in Sydney (where Spring has nearly sprung!)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Black" <dvblack@comcast.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 8:38 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Picture held up
> Al,
>
> > I have no problem with 120KB attachments,
>
> Me either.
>
> > but there is rarely any reason to send something more than 60KB.
>
> I disagree here. The current discussion (as well as several previous
> discussions) suggest the 60kb mail + attachment limit is just too
restrictive.
> My own testing demonstrates that a 50kb JPEG file is severely lacking in
> resolution. This becomes a problem if you are trying to show fine detail.
>
> > Anyone sending pics on the internet needs software that converts to
> > JPEG, and allows you to size and/or crop an image.
>
> Agreed! We don't want anyone sending a 4 megapixel image straight from the
> camera. Obviously there needs to be a limit on file sizes. But in my
> experience, 50kb is smaller than any picture I ever create. Whenever I
post a
> photo on the Reflector I have to create an especially low resolution one
in
> order to make it under the limit.
>
> > Typically reducing the size to about ...400 x 600 pixels gets you
> > below about 40KB on a JPEG.
>
> I agree that 400 x 600 pixels is a perfect size for sending with e-mails.
> However, to send an image that size and stay under the 60kb limit, you
must
> use a very low JPEG resolution. This results in pictures lacking in
detail. It
> also starts threads like this one, because someone can't post a picture.
>
> I propose we try setting the limit to 120kb for a while and see how it
works
> out. If it becomes a problem, we can always change it back. Meanwhile,
> Reflectorites should be able to post pictures without jumping through so
many
> hoops.
>
> Personally, I'd like to see many more pictures posted on this forum. This
> proposed limit change should facilitate that.
>
> Dave Black
> Shortwing RG
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose