REFLECTOR:Storage of wings
reflector@tvbf.org
reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:33:05 -0400
To store my wings, I made two set of two supports that hold each wing
(winglet down), put two eye-bolts/wing in the overhead trusses, flip the
wings and attach to two sets of two locking pulley (four/wing) on each wing
and raise them to the roof. This is really great because it makes access a
one person job and it get them about as out of the way as possible. The
winglet is against a wall and the bottom of the wing is nearly against the
ceiling. The pulleys are available at Lowes and Home Depot. Eye-bolts are
3/8". I tested these in another location and believe me, they can hold way
more than the wing. Actually, in my previous house I had both wings
hanging from two eye-bolts. The only trick part of this is flipping the
wing upside down. If you have open rafters, then you would not even need
to do this step. You could actually just use a padded 2x4 under the wing
with holes through which you attach the rope from the pulley. Put them
where ever is best with no worry about the winglet and just raise them
right from the floor or the plane. Since the winglet end is much lighter, I
used smaller pulleys on that end. I replace the ropes because I needed
more length. I also attached a string to the release tab and ran it over
and down so that I can release the pulley from the ground. Sounds complex,
but it is really simple (had to be - I did it). The time consuming part
was making the supports. I fabricated them out of plywood and did a curve
fit to the wing shape.
OK so maybe some pictures would make this easier. I'll get some pictures
over the weekend and send them if anyone is interested.
-jerry