REFLECTOR:Tools

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:48:07 -0700


The Fein detail sander with a cutting blade.  That's my favorite.

At 07:46 PM 4/24/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Scott,
>
>A body was is a very slender air powered saw. It is about 1 1/2" in diameter
>and about 10"long.  IT takes a metal/fiberglass cutting blade that is
>similar in appearance to a jigsaw blade, but it tapers more to the end, and
>cuts with about a 1/32" kerf.  The blade sticks out the end of the cylinder
>about 3" and when you pull the trigger, it runs at about 10,000
>strokes/minute- kind of hums.  it cuts fiberglass like butter, and can cut a
>radius down to about 1/2" with practice.  It can also start its own hole if
>you smoothly tilt it into the work.  Also, if you keep it at a sharp angle
>to the work, it will cut a pretty straight line- it was great to cut the
>ailerons out of the wing, doors out of the fuse, windows out of the fuse,
>trimming the strake baffles, trimming the strakes, ect, even cuts the window
>plexi really easily.  I have used mine almost every single day I have worked
>on the plane. yesterday, I was installing some windows in the bottom of the
>strakes, and since you have such perfect control on the cutting, I was able
>to just cut through the inner layer of glass and the foam in the strake
>skin, then turned it sideways, and slid it between the foam and the bottom
>skin. and since it doesn't cut on the sides, you can separate the foam from
>the skin really easily, kind of like filleting a fish.  Of course, it also
>cuts through sheet metal, bolts, ect. I have to say that it is my favorite
>tool, with the 90 degree die grinder/3" 36 grit sanding disk a close
>second....
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
>Behalf Of Scott Derrick
>Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 6:19 PM
>To: reflector@tvbf.org
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Tools
>
>
>I guess I have to profess my ignorance and ask what is a body saw and
>why would I want one?
>
>Scott
>
>Alexander Balic wrote:
> > Just to let everyone know, Harbor freight tools has their air powered
> > body saw (AKA fiberglass laser) on sale right now for 20 bucks- the last
> > one that I bought from them 3 years ago is still going strong, but for
> > the $20 I might just get another one if not just to pay homage to the
> > tool that has done almost as much work on my plane as I have.
> >
> > Alex
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose