REFLECTOR:Flying without Cowl Fasteners

SANCHEZ, MERRI J., PHD (JSC-OC) (NASA) reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:31:48 -0500


Actually, I (she, not he) have the "U" slot and camlocs.  I'll try to do a
sketch and send out this weekend.  The slot is probably strong enough to
hold, but I still have camlocs about every 9 inches since I hate to take
chances.  Have never had a camloc come loose in the LongEZ I fly now, and
since they are captive I prefer them to screws.

Merri Sanchez



-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Derrick [mailto:scott@tnstaafl.net]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 9:32 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR:Flying without Cowl Fasteners


Is anybody actually flying without cowl fasteners where the cowl meets 
the fuselage?

The plans call for a lip extended rearward from the fuselage that the 
cowl slides inside of.  Screws(through the fuselage lip) and captured 
nuts(on the cowl) are then installed about every 6 inches along this 
overlap.

Some ,all non-flying or not-tested I guess, say they are not using any 
screws?  Merri says he has built a U shaped slot instead of just a lip 
for he cowls to slid into so he doesn't have to use screws.  This sounds 
  doable and secure.

I'd really like to reduce the number of screws(uncaptured) used to hold 
the cowl on since they have a tendency to come un screwed during flight 
and put large nicks in the prop.

I'd also like to use something that has some flight hours on it.

Scott

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose