REFLECTOR:Flying without Cowl Fasteners
Scott Derrick
reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:54:56 -0600
I dunno? It happens. I've lost two in 125 hours. The screws and nut
plates are the same size. I'd hazard a guess its the compression of the
fiberglass when its vibrating that allows the screw to back out. Metal
doesn't compress as much(or at all) so once its tight it stays that way.
Maybe I'm not torqueing them down enough? I've also had the cowls off
numerous times working out cooling issues, ignition installation,
working out the bugs....
How many hours on your SE? Lost any cowl screws yet? I don't know how
valid a comparison is between a Cherokee and a Velocity?
Scott
Laurence Coen wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I don't understand why your cowl screws are coming unscrewed. I have been
> flying a Cherokee 180 for 16 years and have yet to lose any of the lower
> cowl screws. These screws pass through the cowl and into a nut plate
> mounted to the fuselage which is the same arrangement that is used on the
> Velocity. Is it possible that you have 10-32 nut plates and 8-32 screws?
> Just a thought but I can't think of any good reason you are having this
> problem.
>
> Larry Coen
> SE-RG/Franklin
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Scott Derrick" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
> To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 9:31 AM
> Subject: REFLECTOR:Flying without Cowl Fasteners
>
>
>
>>Is anybody actually flying without cowl fasteners where the cowl meets
>>the fuselage?
>>
>>The plans call for a lip extended rearward from the fuselage that the
>>cowl slides inside of. Screws(through the fuselage lip) and captured
>>nuts(on the cowl) are then installed about every 6 inches along this
>>overlap.
>>
>>Some ,all non-flying or not-tested I guess, say they are not using any
>>screws? Merri says he has built a U shaped slot instead of just a lip
>>for he cowls to slid into so he doesn't have to use screws. This sounds
>> doable and secure.
>>
>>I'd really like to reduce the number of screws(uncaptured) used to hold
>>the cowl on since they have a tendency to come un screwed during flight
>>and put large nicks in the prop.
>>
>>I'd also like to use something that has some flight hours on it.
>>
>>Scott
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>>Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>