REFLECTOR:Considering alternate engines

Fred Vandeman reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:55:27 -0500


Chris,
I'm going to use a  NA 20B in my XLFG.   Have rebuilt the engine, looks 
great.  My costs are about $4800 (cost of engine and parts for 
rebuild).   When I get the PSRU, engine management system, manifolds 
and cooling systems.....I'll probably be +$10,000.    I expect plenty 
of power, reliability and very smooth operation.  Issues with aviation 
use of the rotary that are not turnkey still include:  cooling, 
manifolds and exhaust (temp and durability).   These are still some 
significant issues, but there are some very talented people working on 
these.  For the most part, solutions for each application include 
considerable custom work.....if you're going rotary, you must be 
willing and able to work on these custom projects.   Some excellent 
options coming for intake manifolds and engine mounts.   Several great 
chat groups out there.
Best
Fred



On Saturday, April 19, 2003, at 01:01 PM, Dale W. Thomas wrote:

>
>> To me, it is great that all this is available at a MUCH better price
>> than a certified a/c engine.  For a do it yourself rebuild, parts are
>> abut $900.  A professional rebuild is $4000 for aviation use. The
>> Renesis is reported to be about $6500.00 new. Heck, at this price I 
>> can
>> almost have an extra engine sitting around to use if I need it <g>.
>>
>
> Chris, et.al.,
>   Thanks for the input.
>   My only complaint is that now I have to think some more.... I hate it
> when that happens. :-)
>   A friend of mine recently had his Lyc IO-540-K overhauled and it was
> close to 20K for the work.  You can go a long way with a rotary for
> that.  And I think I remember seeing the 13B was TBO'd at about 3000
> hrs?  Is that right?
>   I'm beginning to like the idea of a 20B Turbo.....
>
> Sheesh.... there I go thinking again .... I gotta stop this.....
>
>
> Dale
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>