REFLECTOR:Considering alternate engines

Tony Babb reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:50:30 -0700


Chris,

I'm building a SEFG and also thinking about rotary, the cost savings are
significant. My initial concerns about availability of an installation kit
seem to be being addressed and with a bit of luck there'll be more
experience and options out there when I come to actually buy the engine.
Insurance is the only hurdle/ brick wall I can see left, I was wondering
what you meant by "alternate steps" - do you have something in mind? Self
insurance/ no insurance/ your own company....

Have you had any thoughts on the prop for a rotary? I'd like an adjustable
pitch prop but can't/won't afford an MT. Could an IVO be run on a rotary?

Thanks,


----- Original Message -----
From: "texasattorney.net" <CBarber@texasattorney.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 7:52 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Considering alternate engines


> Donno yet, but from what I have read on the net it is a problem.  If you
> think there is a bias against experimental, try an even "more"
experimental
> with an auto conversion.  Even though I am disappointed by this narrow
scope
> of thinking, it is a reality.  So, we must work harder and take alternate
> steps.  FWIW.
>
> All the best,
>
> Chris
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 8:59 PM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Considering alternate engines
>
>
> How about insurance?  Seems like it is tough enough to insure these fast
> glass homebuilts with certified engines.  How are people doing it with
> rotary's, V6's, etc...
>
> Scott
>
> texasattorney.net wrote:
> > Al is further along than me. Also, he is using the bigger and heavier
> > 20b.  I plan on using the 13b. I should be able to get pretty good hp
> > and even approach the same power of the 3 rotor 20b NA (normal
> > aspiration) if I turbo the 13b.  Mazda has just introduced a new 13b
> > which is rated at about 240 hp before you sip off the emission stuff.
> > It is called the Renesis and is only available in the new RX-8. New, out
> > of the box it may cost about $6500.  A guy in Australia says he can get
> > them now, but they are not available in the US yet.  Hopefully before I
> > need one for my SE, they will be available.
> >
> > I bought a 13b core yesterday for $100.00 so I could strip it down and
> > play/learn from it.  You can get a rebuilt 13b (which, btw is all new
> > parts) for aviation use for about $4k.  There is a very good video
> > available on rebuilding the rotary.  Cost for a complete overall is
> > about $900, if you do the work.  The smaller 13b should be able to
> > produce from about 160 hp to 210 hp NA or about 250 turbo.  The 20b
> > about 250 NA.  There are only three moving parts in the 13b and I think
> > 4 moving parts in the 20b.  Of course this does not include accessories
> > such as the alternator.  I really like this option.  Rob Johnson, a
> > former Velo builder/owner was going to use a 20b in his XL, but decided
> > on a Lycosarus for an easier/know installation....but, Rob is a fan of
> > the Rotary and has a nice commentary on his Velo builders page at
> > www.robjohnson.com <http://www.robjohnson.com>.  Finally, if you go to
> > the links page on my website, www.LoneStarVelocity.com
> > <http://www.LoneStarVelocity.com> ,you will find most of the really good
> > links for rotaries in aviation use.  Be sure to visit Tracy Crooks
> > company site, Real World Solutions at www.rotaryaviation.com
> > <http://www.rotaryaviation.com>.  Tracy has 1300 hrs on his RV and sells
> > ECU and reduction drives.  I got my engine mount for
> > www.conversionconcepts.com <http://www.conversionconcepts.com>.  Nice
> work.
> >
> > Please feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss it more.  Home
> > is 713-991-0333, Office is 281-464-5297 and cell is 832-818-2355.  Or
> > email, you know the address <g>.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > [texasattorney.net]
> >  -----Original Message-----
> > From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> > Behalf Of Milehitaz@aol.com
> > Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 4:59 PM
> > To: reflector@tvbf.org
> > Subject: REFLECTOR:Considering alternate engines
> >
> >
> >
> >     Hi folks..... thinking about options to the Lycosarus and
> >     Continental.    I am in a very good spot in my build to go either
> >     way.....finished with the RG and starting the fuel strakes in a
XL/RG.
> >
> >     Is there a list of builders working with the rotary engines? I would
> >     like to discuss the option off reflector with you. Please e-mail
> >     directly at milehitaz@aol.com     Thanx in advance for your time and
> >     input.
> >     Larry Lambert
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose