REFLECTOR:Elite Door Help

Milton Mersky reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:36:29 -0500


Do not fit your doors untill the engine & prop are mounted. The weight 
of the engine/prop can alter the fit
.

Milt
Craig and/or Denise Woolston wrote:

>We are in the early stages of mounting our doors to our XL.  I was wondering
>if anyone who has been there already has any helpful suggestions.  I cut the
>doors and sanded to the reference lines and I was going to mount the hinges
>to the door using a straight edge b/t them but the curvature of the door (in
>the fore-aft direction) means the hinge pins really line up.  I mean I can
>still rotate the hinges but they are binding slightly.
>
>Also, I started on the door handle assemblies and the old manual ('00) says
>to pop rivet the AN960-4 washer to the Al. plate.  This is the washer that
>the spring rod pivots on.   The new instructions don't say that but I see
>the pop rivets are still in the drawing.  I guess I don't understand why
>this washer needs to be pop riveted to the Al. plate.
>
>Another thing, the door handles are a little "rough".  What have people done
>to dress them up a little?
>
>On a different what-if question, most aircraft manuals say that prior to
>crashing ("off-airport landing") that the doors should be unlatched.  What
>is the opinions about doing the same thing with a Velocity?  I can't imagine
>trying to fly the airport and hold one hand on the door so it didn't blow
>open.  I would think the pins through the door would help the structural
>integrity of the aircraft in that stressful situation, but are you going to
>be able to get the doors open?
>
>Craig
>Top's on and man does it look better!
>!----------------------------!
>! Craig Woolston             !
>! XL-FG in Palmdale, CA      !
>! cdwoolston@earthlink.net   !
>!----------------------------!
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>  
>