Re[2]: Transponder Ant. was Re: REFLECTOR:anntenas

steve reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:06:26 +0800


Hi jack,

Saturday, April 12, 2003, 10:44:25 AM, you wrote:

jd> I had my transponder antenna mounted in the outboard strake as the manual
jd> suggested and use to get the same complaints from ATC about intermittent
jd> response.  I relocated the antenna to the center of the fuselage near the
jd> gear bulkhead (mounted externally) and have never had a problem with
jd> reception since.

jd> Jack
jd> ----- Original Message -----
jd> From: "Scott Derrick" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
jd> To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
jd> Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 9:12 AM
jd> Subject: Transponder Ant. was Re: REFLECTOR:anntenas


>> I'll second Wayne's "DO NOT" for the transponder. Mine is in the strake
>> in the outside wing bolt hole space.  I get periodic complaints from ATC
>> about intermittent transponder.  I think I'll purchase another antenna
>> and try mounting one closer to the transmitter.
>>
>> I don't want it out side though, don't have any external antennas now,
>> and don't want any.
>>
>> Where's a good spot in a standard RG?  I was thinking about mounting it
>> to the bottom of the rear seat?
>>
>> How big does the ground plane need to be?
>>
>> My GPS antenna is mounted to the inside of the nose access door, 4 feet
>> of cable and works great.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> Wayne Lanza wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> > Regarding the antennas, our experience at the builders center points to
>> > the following:
>> >  > Transponder ANT = between the firewall and gear bulk head, on center
>> > line. DO NOT
>> > put this ANT out in the strake, many transponders don't like to drive
>> > this much wire!
>> >  > GPS = on top of the landing light or on top of the canard, keep this
>> > wire under 8' long.
>> >  > Marker Beacon = Inside or outside of the keel, or on the floor near
>> > the keel. Locate
>> > the foil such that you don't tear it up when upholstering or mounting
>> > the seats...
>> >  > Glide Slope = On the floor under the copilot front seat area.
>> >  > AM/FM = Not too critical, string a 23" piece of the ANT wire (center
>> > conductor only)
>> > across the under side of the structure in front of the canopy. Make sure
>> > that the pitch
>> > trim spring doesn't interfere.
>> >  > ELT = Mount the ELT to the floor between the gear bulk head and the
>> > keel bulk head
>> > on the copilot side. Run two 23" foils on a diagonal centered at the
>> > fuselage joint, the
>> > angle of the foils is such that they are fairly straight (they might
>> > wrap onto the ceiling).
>> > This is not super critical, but this antenna should be vertically
>> > mounted not horizontal!
>> > Use the torroids and connect the coax braid to the lower foil. Secure
>> > foils, torroids and
>> > the end of the lead in coax with 1 ply of bid. This needs to be
>> > shock/impact secured.
>> >  > ADF = I've heard of them :-)
>> >
>> > In general, use the correct type of coax (not TV wire or solid center
>> > conductor), use the
>> > proper BNC terminals and appropriate tools. Keep the coax runs short and
>> > secure.
>> >
>> > Fly Safe,
>> > Wayne Lanza
>> > Composite Design, Inc.
>> > (electrical weenie at the Velocity Builder's Center)
>> > ____________________________________________________________________
>> > On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 06:37 AM, Lynn Gallup wrote:
>> >
>> >     Noel,
>> >     As near as possible, I followed the suggestions in the Velocity
>> >     manual. After 185 hours flying my airplane in a wide variety of
>> >     circumstances I can pronounce perfect operation of my nav & com
>> >     radios, localizer & glideslope, marker beacon receiver and
>> >     transponder. Even the ADF works acceptably although its range is a
>> >     little short. The GPS would benefit from shielding or a slight
>> >     relocation as it will blank out if one of the nav receivers is tuned
>> >     to a particular VOR frequency. (Leakage of nav's IF frequency signal
>> >     out of the localizer antenna overcomes the satellite signals.)
>> >
>> >     Mine is a hatch door, long wing, RG. The antenna locations are:
>> >
>> >     Com antennas - In the tip sails.
>> >     Nav antenna - One shared antenna on top of fuselage about four
>> >     inches forward of engine bulkhead.
>> >     Marker beacon antenna - Along right side about two inches below
>> >     windows.
>> >     Transponder antenna - Bottom of fuselage below right rear seat.
>> >     ADF antennna - Bottom of fuselage below left rear seat.
>> >     Localizer antenna - On canard top surface, center-line of fuselage.
>> >     GPS antenna - Front of canard top, centered. Forward of localizer
>> >     antenna. It should be remounted under the top of the fuselage above
>> >     the localizer antenna.
>> >
>> >     Regards,
>> >     Lynn
>> >     =====================
>> >     At 11:46 PM 4/10/2003 Thursday, you wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> >     Now that it's finally starting to warm up, I'm doing the planning
>> >     for my summer project... The wings / canard.
>> >     I realize that antenna placement is variable, But...
>> >     What do I really need? Do I need a Com and Nav in each wing?
>> >     Where's the best place for a glideslope antenna. The keel was
>> >     already down when I got the kit.
>> >     I assume the transponder would be best on the floor, and the gps on
>> >     the ceiling.
>> >     What about something for the am/fm?
>> >     I've seen Don's elt antenna on the main wingspar shearweb, and it
>> >     looked pretty survivable.
>> >
>> >     What's popular / what's practical
>> >
>> >     Noel 3suv103
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
jd> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>
jd> _______________________________________________
jd> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

jd> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

Thinking about weak/intermittent transponder replies to the ground radar.....
Anyone know what distance from the ground station is considered normal before ATC expects some
degradation ???

-- 
Best regards,
 steve                            mailto:steve_beilby@yahoo.com.au