REFLECTOR:Air tools

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:25:52 -0500


You should use the flat sanding disks with the angle die grinder- I
purchased a 2" pad. and a 3" pad from McMaster Carr Supply, and I have some
100, 50, and 36 grit resin bonded sanding disks that fit them- they are
resistant to clogging, and really remove a lot of material, so you need to
develop a touch with them to avoid removing too much, but this doesn't take
too long. I think that the disks are rated to 20k rpm, but those numbers are
conservative, and I have never had one come apart, even after snagging it,
and having half of it tear off, and besides, they are only resin bonded
paper, so they won't hurt you much if they hit you, and since we are all
wearing eye protection (right?) that should not be a concern there. I really
don't use the straight grinder too much, but when I do , I use the solid
carbide burrs in them, and they are rated far above any speed that the
grinder could produce. I have never even thought of them failing.  I also,
have a 2" dia drum sander, but the body is solid rubber (heavy) so the
grinder doesn't swing it too well, and so I use that one in my air drill to
keep the RPM down to a controllable level-  works really well.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Tony Babb
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 9:41 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR:Air tools


Folks,

I have air powered angle and straight die grinders rated at 25 and 20K rpm.
I need a grinding wheel - or two. When I look around my local Home Depot all
I see are wheels rated at 15k rpm. Are 25k+ grinding wheels available or is
that a "no load" speed and the 15K wheels will work just fine? I would just
hate to see a piece of grinding wheel flying across my garage - and you
never know where it will end up.

Thanks all..

SEFG - top NACA scoops

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose