[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

REFLECTOR: RBH latching system



Chuck, 
on my RBH I have used cabinet hinges on the aft end ... I found an
invisbile, offset opening hinge that does not have removable pins or other
adjustments from a company in San Marcos, Ca. (I can look up the name and
address if you are interested).  It holds the hatch open and out of the way.
Because of the fuselage curve I still get a slight rub when opening.  I will
have to adjust the gap a little to remove the squeak.
I also have 4 flush mounted camlocs; two are at front edge of canard
doghouse and two in the front corners of RBH. I needed to use the longest
camlocs made and then adjust the spring tension and base locks to fit the
thickness of the hatch and hatch flange.  The flange has been reinforced
with carbon and curved slightly up to fit tight against the RBH at those
four locations.
I intend to put a safety lock (probably a cable) inside the front of the RBH
with access thru the nose gear door.  I have not figured that out yet.  I'm
a bit crowded just in front of the hatch because I have a 17AH battery
mounted there.
I added extra tabs (the size of a 970-3 washer) to the doghouse top corner
fore and aft to connect it to the fuselage.  I had noticed some flexing in
the front fuselage where the canard cutout was made.  When the tabs are
bolted in place there is no movement.

The camlocs don't meet your "nothing shows" requirement, but I wanted to get
some support across the doghouse area.

Bill Schweitzer
std RGE (creeping forward) 
San Jose, Ca

-----Original Message-----
From: CHUCK173RG@aol.com [mailto:CHUCK173RG@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 1999 10:58 AM
To: reflector@awpi.com
Subject: REFLECTOR: Re: RBH latching system


Hello fellow Velocity Builders,
I just finished sealing up my original small front hatch and cut my RBH. I'm

ready to finish and would like to know what type of hinge, latch, etc you 
might have used in securing the latch. If you used pins in the process, 
please let me know the details....thanks for the help. I do not want to have

any securing system visible from the outside.
Chuck Lehrer
173LW RGE (getting closer)