[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: REFLECTOR: Initial Door Fit
I have read about the Heat lamps to fix some, but these seem pretty far
out of curve.
Kurt:
First, make sure both hinges are in the optimal position. I got my
passenger door on wrong the first time, and it really made for an ugly fit.
I had to cut more material off the top to make it fit properly.
I recall talking with Malcolm at Hangar 18 over a year ago, and he said I'd
be amazed at how much the doors will move into shape with heat lamps. He
was right. I distinctly recall him talking about a door that was warped
inward. He heated it up and put a 2 X 4 between the keel and the door to
push it outward. Your problem may take two or three repetitions, but the
doors should conform. Just make sure the lamps are very secure. I checked
mine frequently.
Heat lamp alternative: Al Gietzen dropped by a week ago. He reminded me
about painting his doors with black poster paint (washes off with water).
He put the doors out in full sunshine, and temps reached about 145 F. He
said his doors came out great. Just make sure to use adequate 2 X 4
support in the right directions.
Good luck,
Dennis Martin