[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: REFLECTOR: Headphones (was Door Trim Sealing)



Hi Martin,

	Thanks for bringing that up. I won't spend so much money on headsets
that I'd scrimp on a top-notch engine monitor & gauges.  I don't know if
I'll go as exotic as voice enunciation (and as far as price, I don't
know that an AV-10 is 'exotic'), but a good EDM-700, GEM, etc, is a
facinating thing to watch (Insight has a great Video for the unwashed
like me). Toys aside, a pilot with a rigorous scan, along with every
other 'good technique', should be the number one piece of equipment that
goes into a plane.

	Besides, my dream is an airplane so smooth I'll be able to FEEL a
rod-knock (and Lord knows what else).  I think as long as my stick,
engine/prop controls, and seat are not over-cushed that shouldn't be too
much problem... plane seems stout enough that it's not cancelling out
too much sensory input.  I hope I'm not wrong here !  

	I don't know about B-24s, but I had the luck of an EAA B-17 ride July
4th (that's right, maybe those weren't fireworks) and I was wondering if
maybe a rod would have to come thru the fuselage before it got someone's
attention.  Just kidding, but wow, what a beautiful beast of sound and
fury !

Regards,
Jeff Barnes
XL-RG slow buildin'

HadleyAir@aol.com wrote:
> 
> IMHO, your testimony demostrates the one negative aspect of ANR systems. Most
> ANR systems are designed to detect and cancel repeditive audio signals...SNIP 
> These detected noises include for example, wind noise, the 'drone' of the
> engine, repeating rod knocks, etc. OOPS! Did I say "rod knocks"?
> 
> The Collins Foundation, owners and operators of the B-24 Liberator "All
> American" and B-17 "909" were donated sets of a major leading manufacturers'
> ANR headsets.
SNIP  With a rear mounted engine, what we don't hear may just be
something that we
> really want to be able to listen to. This is just something to think about
> when considering "quality" ANR headsets.
> 
> IMHO 
> Martin