[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Fillers
Dennis Martin asked if I could guess how much "superfill" it would take to do
a 173 FGE. The answer is: Not quite.
I did my canard first on the bottom with standard Microballoons and
alphapoxy. After the sanding experience, I tried the Microlite on the top of
the canard. I found it much easier to work with and a little lighter in
weight. Sanding was Improved also.
After reading in a few articles about "Superfil", I called the company. Based
on all the information I gathered, this is what I decided:
- The canard is basically done as the factory recommends, and if it is of
"standard" weight ( or even a little heavy) that works for me.
- It was My and Jon's ( Superfill rep) guess that it would take an
"industrial kit" of 3 gallons mixed product to do my 173 wings and winglets.
- After using the test kit of "superfil" that I ordered, I decided that
it was well worth the $120 in my time sanding, plus the weight savings to
order the 3 Gal. Kit.
- Keep in mind that all of these products that I have used are all based
on the same epoxy resin system, the only change is in the filler components,
& mixing. I do not wish to experiment in mixing resins on this aircraft.
- The "Superfil" is being applied on a slightly different fashion than is
Microballoon, in order to save sanding time, and product. If you want to
know more about that... Let me know.
Well there ya have it, 3 gals to do the wings, I would guess 1/2- 2/3 of
a gal for the canard, and I have no idea on the rest, as Im not there yet...
:)
Happy building
Kurt Winker
173 FGE