REFLECTOR: HID noise

Brian Michalk via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Fri Feb 26 09:50:37 CST 2016

If a person wants HID lights, then the only true source is from Philips.

If there is an aviation HID source, they will also be using Philips
parts, which are automotive.  There isn't anyone that's going to produce
a line of HID lamps specifically for aviation.

I have three in my plane.  One in each canard tip, and one as a landing
light.  They last longer than halogens, and consume less current.

I think the issues with auto parts in planes come down to a few points:
Vinyl coated wires.  Bad.  Use aviation wire because of fire.  If you
use an auto component, the lead wires will probably be vinyl, but
minimize it as much as possible.  It's not that vinyl is a terrible
insulator, it's just not as good with abrasion, and produces toxic fumes
when burned.
Structural bolts.  Use quality structural parts that have been through
an inspection process or vetted in some capacity.
There are other minor points, but for me, those two are the biggest.

One of my favorite interests is to look at the parts used by RC
hobbyists.  It's amazing that there is access to such high quality
machined components at such a reasonable price.