REFLECTOR: Honeycomb Core - Usage

Tom Mann via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Mon Oct 12 08:36:38 CDT 2015

My time has been divided pretty thin lately but I did get to address a couple items yesterday.

I had ordered some honeycomb core that was on clearance and used it to make a new vanity panel for the Velocity. I have always wanted to experiment with this material and this looked like a good excuse.

I wetted out some BID glass between two sheets of poly and then peeled one side of one, laid the honeycomb on it and peeled on side of the second BID and laid that on top. I installed a vacuum film over it and pulled it down to my work surface for cure.

I checked it this morning and boy is it light and stiff. The one that was in the plane originally was made of what looks like a cardboard like material and would not hold it's shape.

Note: While I love working with Carbon Fiber for stuff like this I chose fiberglass to avoid any transmission conflicts (blocking) of the ELT which is located in this area.

T Mann