REFLECTOR: Nose gear damper failure.

Stockman, Bill via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Mon Oct 5 08:46:14 CDT 2015

Larry

I had a similar incident on my 173LWFG only with one of the early shimmy damper devices.   In my case, the nose gear always was fine without the wheel pant, but went crazy with it, so I tried device which actually locks the nose gear in place.  Unfortunately one flight it missed the hole and things got real exciting on landing.

I had to replace the gear leg, wheel, tire, pivot bushings, etc.     The first step is to remove everything and repair the keel where the bushing were potted.   I added an addition layup on 2bid fabric on each side and across the top.   After that just follow the original build instruction for installing the gear.   Make sure they install the new rubber bumper pad if they didn't already have it installed.     The biggest problem was the panel, elevator control tube, etc. which is all in the way.    I ended up unbolting the panel and pulling it up out of the way.

Good luck.

bill