REFLECTOR: Performance

Geoff Gerhardt via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Mon Nov 2 09:17:21 CST 2015

Larry,

I need to go full rich on climbout to manage CHT's, but once I level out,
I'm able to lean it out.  Certainly once you get the big VG's on the roof,
you should be able to lean out in cruise.  You'll only give up a few knots,
but will save lots of fuel (should be more like 8.5-9gal/hr LOP at 5500').
I typically always cruise WOT, but at low altitudes like 5500, I really
have to lean it out to keep the RPM under 2800.

Like Andrew, I have a Catto prop.  90% of the time I'm flying light, so it
works out for me.  If I was flying a full plane, though, I think I'd
appreciate a MT - long, low takeoff runs get passenger's a bit squirrely -
especially other pilots used to more typical take-off's in C172's and the
like.

Geoff