REFLECTOR: Fixed Pitch RPM Std. FG / MT breaking

Geoff Gerhardt via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Fri May 22 06:33:36 CDT 2015

Andrew,

It would be great to compare our performance.  I have a couple Catto props
for my Velocity (173-RG).  One is an older design Catto prop and is 66x74,
the other is a newer design (~3yrs old) and is 64x76.  With the older
(smaller diameter larger pitch) one, I get a static of 2300RPM.  With the
newer one, my static is only ~2050RPM.  Both get about the same top end - I
typically cruise at 2800RPM which gives ~175ktas.  Because I get quicker
take-offs with the older prop, I use it.  I've been thinking about sending
the newer prop back to Catto for re-pitching, but not sure what I'd ask
for.  At mid-range altitudes (7500'), I have to pull back the power (go way
LOP) to keep the RPM's below 2800.  At higher altitudes (12,000') I can run
normal LOP and get 2800RPM (this is with the 64x76 prop).

Always looking for more speed - I'm wondering if I could squeeze out a few
cruise knots with a slightly longer pitch prop than the 64x76, maybe
something that would give a 2200RPM static..

I've attached a graph of the different takeoff performance I've seen with
both.

Geoff