REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil Bypass Results

Brian Michalk via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Sat Mar 21 19:55:11 CDT 2015

Good news!

I am so excited about the results today.  I mounted the new bypass
assembly, and set the bypass pressure by first pulling the prop through
by hand, then with the starter, then running the engine.  I still have
it set too high, and will fix that before the next run.

Unfortunately, I did not turn on the Autronic which logs oil
temperature, but I do have pressure and flow data.
FYI, the left axis is logarithmic.

I am very pleased with these results.  I ran the engine on the ground
until the CHT's got to redline, and you can see that as the oil warmed
up, the more it flowed.  At the end, we ran close to 2000 RPM, and got
the oil flow up to six gallons per minute, which is now on the
performance specification charts for our oil cooler.  This is definitely
a success.
I'll probably machine one more unit to remove the last final problems
I've found, but they are not critical.  I can certainly fly with this
unit, and hope to get some flight time in a week or two after I complete
my annual.

Here is a flight from last week.  This is the fourth vortex generator
flight with the engine hot.  The oil flow never got up to 3 gallons per
minute.