REFLECTOR: Diffuser-to-NACA Boot?

Sid Knox via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Mon Mar 16 22:57:17 CDT 2015

Hi Tom,
The previous owner/builder of my Velocity (same engine as yours) converted
from armpit scoops to the overhead NACAs and he used what appears to be a
strip of inner-tube rubber to make the boot.  There is about a one-half inch
gap between the scoop and the fiberglass diffuser.  The scoop end is
fastened with pop-rivets and the engine end is fastened with a large nylon
tie-wrap.  the overlap of the rubber is bonded with what appears to be
rubber cement.  I have owned the plane since 2001 and have never had any
problems with that mod.  Next time I have the top cowling off, I could take
some photos but you will probably have already done something by then...

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
KR2         N24TC
W7QJQ

> I’m close to finishing my conversion to a NACA roof scoop setup and have a
> question for the group.
> The subject aircraft is a Velocity STD/RG with an IO-36

> I thought that I could fabricate a junction boot out of rubber or some
> fiberglass tape impregnated with RTV.

> Any suggestions?

> Tom Mann

---