REFLECTOR: Cold weather issues

Lawrence Epstein via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Sun Mar 1 10:52:01 CST 2015

Finally got to fly yesterday. Freezing cold up there and had a few
interesting issues:
1) My Throttle cable was initially frozen (I was able to get 2400RPM and
the runway is 10kft), but quickly thawed.
2)My Vertical AP was non functional ("He's dead Jim") Not sure if this was
temperature related or related to a software upgrade (GRT HXr)
3)Heater is just blowing cold air (Nose oil cooler just gets cabin air. Has
it's own pre-heat pad.).
4) When I landed, I couldn't disengage the nose wheel lock. When I got out
and checked, there was ice formed around the pin

Today I pulled the nose cover. The cooler was warm (plugged in). I ran the
engine and got Oil temp up to the 150's. Checked the nose oil cooler-Ice
cold. Lines running to & from equally cold.
Autopilot servo not doing much of anything (Lateral works fine). EFIS set
up menu shows that it's alive and communicating.

Larry Epstein
N58LV
173 FGE Lycoming iO360, MT Prop