REFLECTOR: The use of VG to aid cooling

Darrell & Nora Kufalk via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Tue Sep 30 20:48:58 CDT 2014

Ron,

A few years back, I tested the 1/4" tall VGs in front of my NACAs.  I was very careful to position them just as described in the old Velocity Views newsletter.  I used RTV to install them the day before the test.  I flew 25 miles, got some gas, removed them and flew 25 miles home.  Same OAT.  Same power settings.  Same climb rate.  Same altitude.  Same cruse speed.  I downloaded my engine data and carefully studied it.
I got exactly ZERO degrees lower CHTs between the 2 flights.

Darrell
XL-RG IO-540