REFLECTOR: Torque on elevator push/pull tube

Brian Michalk via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Sun Sep 28 21:45:18 CDT 2014

I measured my down elevator deflection, and found that I was not getting
the full throw, and decided to adjust the length of the push pull tube
to fix the problem.

I unscrewed five turns on the rod end, and then tightened up the locking
nuts.  Next, I was checking for full range of controls and noticed that
the rod ends are rotating in the tube at the ends of the max aileron
travel.  The problem is that the rod ends are not able to handle the
entire rotation of the aileron tube.  The threaded portion of the rod
ends are rotating inside the bushing.

Has anyone else seen this?  I strongly believe that this is a problem,
but I've never heard of anyone else with this problem.  It might take a
few years, but it seems like the threads will eventually strip out.