REFLECTOR: WAAS GNS480 GPS Nav Comm radio for sale

Scott Baker via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Wed Sep 10 12:08:18 CDT 2014

Years ago, when UPS Aviation Technologies was in its heyday - there came
an awesome GPS-Navigator-Comm unit called the CNX80.  I believe it was
one of the first WAAS certified GPS units available.
It turned out to be a great radio.  So great in fact, that Garmin
purchased the UPS Aviation Technologies company - and integrated the
CNX80 into it product line using the name GNS480.  The CNX80 and GNS480
units are one in the same.
The Garmin GNS480 was a stopgap unit - there to satisfy a market need -
while the company developed WAAS integration into its popular GNS430
unit.  When the GNS430W ('W' standing for WAAS) was borne, the GNS480
was retired.
"Retired" does not mean unsupported.  GarminAT continues to provide full
support for CNX80/GNS480 units.

The GNS480 has developed what might be 'cult following'.  Some say it
remains the best WAAS navigator in the GA sector.  I myself have a
GNS480 in my aircraft, and I sincerely love it.  It's a great unit that
performs wonderfully.  Flight plan programming is one of its best
features - as it includes airways in the flight planning database.  The
GNS480 supports remote transponder operations with Garmin transponders
(and also the Garmin SL70/70R transponder). When tied into a Mode-S
transponder such as the Garmin GTX-330, the GNS480 displays TIS (Traffic
Information System) traffic display and alerts.  The unit also displays
terrain warnings.  It really is a nice box.

To those who are shopping for a WAAS GPS Navigator/Comm radio, I have
come across a fully functioning, used GNS480 that is for sale. The radio
was removed last week from a Piper Malibu that is undergoing a panel
renovation.
I am offering it to the Velocity community before advertising it on
eBay.  The Velocity community price is $3,975 and includes the GNS480
unit, tray, wiring plugs, and WAAS GPS antenna.  The unit is in working
condition, with no known problems regarding operation. The unit has the
usual wear and tear on the outside.  The inner knob has a rubber cap
that is torn - which is exposing the inner knob. The knob itself works
as it should, it is just the rubber cap that is messed up.

First come, first serve.  You will not be disappointed.  The price of
this WAAS GNS480 is about half what a used GNS430W is selling.
GNS480 P/N430-6100-800-002
S/N 25700753

If interest, please call Scott Baker at 772-713-6140 or Email
Scottb33333 at gmail.com.

Thanks,
Scott