REFLECTOR: Aileron Belhorn Configuration

Dave T Nelson via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Tue Sep 2 11:30:46 CDT 2014

Brian, team, FWIW regarding your "second nit"... I fixed this on my STD-RG
many years ago as follows...

I added a long "U" shaped steel bracket that wraps around the outside of
the control stick.  The ends of the "U" are riveted into the aileron torque
tube.   Not sure this (poor) picture will come through... but here it is,
looking downward through the stick hole.  Remember, mines a Standard, so
this will look different than you fancy Elite guys are used to.  I also
added a steel bushing through the aileron torque tube and the stick.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably bolt the U through the aileron
torque tube instead of rivet, although that hasn't been a problem.  I'd
also paint it.    Oh well...

I've been flying this for more years and hours than I can count.  No slop.

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

----- Message from Brian Michalk via Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org> on Tue,
02 Sep 2014 10:01:07 -0500 -----

      To: Thomas Mann <tmann at n200lz.com>, Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
          <reflector at tvbf.org>

 Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Aileron Belhorn Configuration

You may have already examined the design, and I'm just mentioning this for
informational purposes.

If you look at the stick roll arrangement, it's asymmetrical.  The stick is
mounted to the right of the torque tube.  Rolling left causes the stick to
rise out of the keel, and the opposite to the right.  The net result is
that you get more travel in one direction than the other.

The second nit I have is that a bolt carries the torque from the stick to
the TT.  Yes, you can fashion a bearing surface, and I have done this, but
the result is that there is some play generated by this arrangement because
you can't tighten this bolt tight enough to remove the play.  It must allow
the parts to slide against each other and transmit torque to the tube.

One of these days I plan to move the TT to the center of the keel, and make
a new stick that the TT pierces.  The torque will be transmitted in shear
through a bolt, meaning that it's working on both sides of the TT.