REFLECTOR: Aileron Belhorn Configuration

Brian Michalk via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Tue Sep 2 10:01:07 CDT 2014

You may have already examined the design, and I'm just mentioning this
for informational purposes.

If you look at the stick roll arrangement, it's asymmetrical.  The stick
is mounted to the right of the torque tube.  Rolling left causes the
stick to rise out of the keel, and the opposite to the right.  The net
result is that you get more travel in one direction than the other.

The second nit I have is that a bolt carries the torque from the stick
to the TT.  Yes, you can fashion a bearing surface, and I have done
this, but the result is that there is some play generated by this
arrangement because you can't tighten this bolt tight enough to remove
the play.  It must allow the parts to slide against each other and
transmit torque to the tube.

One of these days I plan to move the TT to the center of the keel, and
make a new stick that the TT pierces.  The torque will be transmitted in
shear through a bolt, meaning that it's working on both sides of the TT.