REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel question

John Dibble via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Sun Nov 30 11:34:50 CST 2014

I've used the Shin tire (A/S P/N 06-10840)/Azusa wheel for 10 years/1000
hours.  The tire is narrower than the wheel, yet it works fine.
Previously I used the slick tire and experienced the horrific shimmy
when my washers were too loose.  With the Shin I need only 3-4 lbs of
tightening and the steering is very easy.  I haven't adjusted the
tension for several years.  The only issue is if the tire pressure gets
too low (~25psig) the tube gets pinched on landing and I get a flat.

John

On 11/29/2014 5:41 PM, Thomas Mann via Reflector wrote:
> Dos anyone, flying a Standard/RG, have the Condor 5,00 x 5 as a nose tire?
> I currently use the slick tire which is roughly 10 inches in diameter.
> With the gear retracted it measures .8” from the tire to the
> _*outside*_ of the  gear door. So very little clearance between the
> tire and the inside face of the door.
>
> Given that, a Condor 5.00 x 5 would not retract far enough to allow
> the doors to close without some kind of mod to allow the nose gear to
> retract another 2 inches into the nose.
>
> So from what I see on my plane, any thought of upgrading to that
> tire/tube arrangement is not feasible, true?
>
> T Mann
>

> Sent from Windows Mail

---