REFLECTOR: Vortex Generators

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sun May 18 22:42:22 CDT 2014

After doing my foreward CG tests, I find that my biggest concern is
running out of elevator authority when flaring to land.  Flying in my
buddies V, and also the trainer, I don't recall speeds as high as I am
maintaining on final.  At 110mph (96 kts) final, by the time I land, I
suppose I'm down to 100mph, and at forward CG of ... well, I can't find
my spreadsheet at the moment, but it's probably close to 115 inches.

My question is I am wondering if VG's on the canard will give me some
better elevator authority.  I like not having to worry about breaking
them off now, so if the bother is worth it, I'll try them.