REFLECTOR: Steel Aileron Torque Tubes

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Mar 24 12:17:51 CDT 2014

What follows is not a recommendation on a steel tube:
If I were at this point, I would make a design change here.

Look at the pivot of the control stick to the torque tube.  All of the
torque is sent through a -3 (I believe) bolt that needs to be tightened
enough to remove play, but loose enough to allow rotation.  It's a
design that I wish I would have addressed.  If I were to do it over
again, I would:

1) Run the torque tube in the center of the keel, which may displace
your speed brake actuator.
2) attach it with the provided hardware to the top of the keel. The
forward bearing would be just aft of the control stick cutout, leaving
three or four inches extending (cantilevered) past the bearing.
3) using a larger ID tube, make an adapter that will slide over the
torque tube such that the torque tube pierces the adapter at a right
angle.  The control stick will be inserted into this adapter.  This will
be drilled and will transmit torque from the stick to the torque tube.
The hole in the adapter will necessarily be longer along the stick axis
in order to rotate in pitch.  Alternatively, one could weld on some thin
steel that would sandwich around the torque tube, which is easier than
machining an oval hole in a tube.
4) Because the pivot point is very close (higher) to the keel cutout,
your keel cutout will need to be smaller to provide the required control
stops.  I haven't done it, but you can do the math.

Using this design, the pivot bolt is only in shear, and not in torque,
which is the main difference from the plans.  I believe you will like
the feel of this design better than the design from the factory.

The other benefit is that the design is symmetrical.  The factory design
is such that when the stick is moved left, it raises and is allowed to
impart more left aileron.  When moved right, it descends into the cutout
more, contacting the keel cutout earlier, resulting in less right
aileron deflection.

I did machine a saddle that provides for one square inch of bearing
surface, but still don't like the behavior.