REFLECTOR: Weight & Balance

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 15:55:10 CDT 2014

What would be really nice is if there was something in print that stated what the real CG envelope is for the 173 FGE. Like I said, I could find no W&B info at all in the on line builder's manuals. All my manuals have examples/figures from the Standard. I think they are different. I do trust that Larry got the correct info from Scott, and would like to have it.

I did notice that Larry's numbers and mine are really not very far off, Except: His shows an arm of the sump as 135" (which is in the book as an example of the standard. I noticed he subtracted it out of his empty CG numbers.)
I weighed mine empty, then with just the sump tank full. It is 5 Gallons with a CG of 126.19. It is in the stock location. Pretty big difference there.

One other wrench for my set-up is that My Pitot Tube sticks straight out of the nose. so the tip of the nose is no longer there. I kind of wagged on where it used to be, but I could be off by a bit. If this is so, my numbers get even closer to Larry's except for the sump. This would "buy" me back about 1/2" of CG to the good side.

I already have 2 Batteries in the nose, but they are pretty lightweight. No room for another, but I am pretty sure I can get some more weight up there if I need to. How much does beer weigh?

Wim is right on the fuel load effect on CG. I did a detailed fill & weigh process on mine and the basic arm of the fuel was within an inch the whole way, but that arm averaged about 123". This is important if the 173 numbers were really revised from 120.75" to 123.
Would be nice to know what I am aiming for:0

Thanks for the input all!  This is getting so close!

Kurt