REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil temp and flow data

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:35:05 CST 2014

John,

Looking at the oil bypass plate the bypass spring plug is on your left and
is the side of the oil return from the cooler. There is a 1/8" NPT hole on
the outside face of my bypass plate that supplies oil to the fuel pump drive
via an external oil line.  Replacing the original fuel pump with the PZL
pump eliminated this line.  I used a Weldon vane pump mounted on the
original pump drive and still have this oil line installed.  I measure both
oil temp and pressure by teeing into where the line connects to the bypass
plate.  I think there some Franklins that don't have this fitting hole in
the bypass plate.  This may be why Brian did it his way.  Another good
possibility is a pipe plug that is located on the copilot side of the engine
case on the prop end.  The upper plug closes the crank main bearing oil
galley and is where I have installed an oil pressure switch for the Hobbs.
Maybe not the perfect location but you would finally be measuring engine oil
temp instead of oil cooler temp.

Larry Coen
N136LC