REFLECTOR: Fw: Cooling

Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list reflector at tvbf.org
Wed Jun 25 09:36:19 CDT 2014

Hi again -

Larry, a couple of thoughts (after reading the article).  It's a good
article, but it's really focused on maintaining the energy of the incoming
airstream for a jet engine.  What we are focused on here isn't that energy
- we're focused on pressure recovery at minimum drag.  The article states
that ." Submerged inlets were unsuitable for "oil coolers, radiators, or
carburetors of ... reciprocating engines," the report continued, because
"the required diffusion of the air and the range of inlet-velocity ratios
is too great to give desirable characteristics at all flight conditions.",
and I have no doubt that that is true.

What it's not saying, however, is that a system including the NACAs,
flowing into a diffuser created by ducting that is smooth, straight, and
expanding, and then flowing into a plenum, has more or less drag than an
exposed scoop.  Remember, it's the system we've got to look at, not just
the scoop itself.  And that we're focused on both overall cooling capacity
and drag minimization.

Secondly, the author states "North American's bad experience-and those of
others, such as Long-EZ builders who tried to use them for engine cooling
air-did not put paid to the NACA scoop".  That's just plain wrong.  Go try
to find a Long-ez or a Cozy that has a male scoop.  There are a few out
there, but the NACA cooling has been standard since my Long-ez was built
in the early 80's.  They work great, and have much better performance
because the drag is inherently less and you're not disturbing the airflow
to the prop to the same degree.  The key, again, with those airplanes is
that the NACA dumps into an expansion duct that does pressure recovery.

Terry Schubert has done some really great work on cooling and cooling drag
- take a look at the Central States catalog to find good articles.

At the end of the day, what we are all looking for is sufficient cooling
capacity at the lowest possible drag, over all flight regimes.  NACAs and
scoops can both do that (as I've seen with my Velocity - they both can
work).  A properly installed NACA, however, creates less drag.

My two cents...  Great discussion - Thanks!

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering
----- Forwarded by Dave T Nelson/Rochester/IBM on 06/25/2014 09:16 AM
-----