REFLECTOR: Cooling

Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list reflector at tvbf.org
Tue Jun 24 15:05:47 CDT 2014

I use modified armpit scoops.  They are mounted 3/4" out from the fuselage and have an internal venturi for improved pressure recovery.  I have included a clip from a Flying Magazine article that explains the popularity of misapplication of NACA inlets.

Larry Coen

N136LC

North American's bad experience-and those of others, such as Long-EZ builders who tried to use them for engine cooling air-did not put paid to the NACA scoop. Today we see them everywhere, and they are widely used in precisely the applications-engine induction and cooling air inlets, oil radiator inlets, fuel tank vents, cabin ventilators, all sorts of mysterious apertures on Firebirds and Lamborghinis-for which the original researchers deemed them unsuitable.

Why? Different designers probably have different motives. Many applications require peak performance at only a narrow range of flow rates anyway, and so efficiency losses at off-design points can be tolerated. Even though they are not really drag-free, submerged inlets certainly produce less drag than protruding ones do. They have practical advantages; one is that they're easy to fabricate-much easier than a pitot-style scoop with a boundary-layer channel. NACA scoops are popular with amateur builders, some of whom are probably in the dark about the mechanism of their operation, but assume that if they're used on some airplanes, they must be good for all.

Other reasons are more frivolous. NACA scoops look nice. They don't appear to clutter up the surface of the airplane the way protruding inlets would. They at least seem as if they produce no drag. And that double-ogive with its gently sinking floor is an elegant shape that just feels aerodynamic in an undefined sort of way. Looks matter. When reason fails, follow your heart.

Read more at http://www.flyingmag.com/scoop-naca-scoop#2DDXHD907wXdp5Bi.99