REFLECTOR: Cooling

Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list reflector at tvbf.org
Tue Jun 24 10:47:45 CDT 2014

/With this success in mind, it was decided to try the VG’s on the armpit
scoops of our XLRG demo airplane (see photo below). In this
installation, we plumb the air from the armpit scoops up to the plenum
chamber and then down through the cylinders. Placing two VG’s about 4”
in front of the armpit scoop entrance has resulted in a 40 degree
reduction in cylinder temperature. I would have never guessed we could
achieve this much reduction but the numbers don’t lie. If you’re having
a difficult time getting your cylinder temperatures down, this might be
your answer. Keep in mind that if your using the updraft type cooling
through the arm pit scoops you need to add about 40 degrees to what your
indicating. This is due to the fact your CHT probes are installed on the
bottom of the cylinders and the fresh air coming from the scoops are
cooling the probes. If you want to try it on your airplane, let us know
and we will send you 4 VG’s and you pay only a shipping and handling
charge. In our installation the leading edge of the VG fins are 1.5
inches apart and the trailing edges of the fins are 2.25 inches apart.
This results in a total difference of .75 inches and will provide the
proper “kick out.” If you are trying this on a standard fuselage NACA
installation, you will need to move them closer together. The important
measurement is the .75 inch that provides the proper angle. (see picture
# 3)/

/Also, keep in mind that the attach surface of the VG should be sanded
prior to the silicone installation. The VG’s are made of a plastic
material and if used where the sun will get to them, they should be
sanded and painted to reflect the UV’s./

VV armpit1.jpg
<http://wiki.velocityoba.com/index.php?title=File:VV_armpit1.jpg>