REFLECTOR: Fuel Line Routing (was Hub-bub)

Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list reflector at tvbf.org
Sat Jun 21 16:45:24 CDT 2014

That is one way to look at it.

It is quite by accident that I acquired this aircraft. I won’t go into that here.

I’ve had my Long-EZ plans since the early 80’s and started building my plane from the plans roughly 7 years ago and I’m just about done with the airframe. I state this as background material so you don’t think that this is my first rodeo. I know composites quite well and I know canards quite well.

>One of the most common cause of fatal accidents in experimental aircraft is mechanical

>failure related to the fuel system.

When I got the Velocity the first thing I did was research on that aircraft using the NTSB database. Looking at the first accident that came up in the results the first link in the chain of events that followed was an empty (or near empty) tank due to uneven flow. This along with Burt Rutan & Mike Melvill’s write-up regarding the On-Off type fuel systems (i.e.feeding from both tanks at once) and why it is a bad Idea.

The system I currently fly is Left/Right/Off. The system I am installing adds “Both” to the option list. So you see if you were to compare my system to what you would propose I think that you would find that my system is a much closer portrayal of a certified aircraft design than a homebuilt/experimental design.

Now citing your argument below, would you suspect that you odds would be better if you were closer to what is typically a certified design approach?

>There have been multiple incidences of engine stoppage in experimental pusher aircraft

>with the configuration you are describing (Scott B. described the mechanism in his earlier

>e-mail). This would theoretically be less likely with a 200hp engine, but the inherent

>risk/design limitation is there.

I would be interested in references that would support that statement. The point you make in your second bullet does not apply. That was related to long runs of 3/8” lines where I have a relatively short run of 1/2” lines with a minimal number of fittings. Fuel flow is retarded more by the number of fittings than the actual length of the tubing and I have seen demonstrations proving that point.

>In the event of a "traumatic" arrival, with the valve up front, there is fuel essentially in your

>lap

I find that unlikely but if the arrival is traumatic enough to cause such a failure …… well, no more worries. On the other hand, with a proper fuel system you may just make it to your destination.

Burt and Mike were pretty factual in their argument and it did make sense to me. It just so happened that a Cozy flier trashed his plane about that time due to a combination of a missing gas cap and a single sump system.

I like what you have done Larry. I think you were very thorough in your approach. It’s just not what I’m looking for in my plane. I just would not feel comfortable going that route.

Tom Mann

N951TM

Sent from Windows Mail

I know I'm not about to answer your question (Scott B. just did that beautifully on another post), but you may want to consider the following;
One of the most common cause of fatal accidents in experimental aircraft is mechanical failure related to the fuel system.

There have been multiple incidences of engine stoppage in experimental pusher aircraft with the configuration you are describing (Scott B. described the mechanism in his earlier e-mail). This would theoretically be less likely with a 200hp engine, but the inherent risk/design limitation is there.

In the event of a "traumatic" arrival, with the valve up front, there is fuel essentially in your lap.

You could return the Andair valve and instead install a mechanical valve near the sump, which is actuated using pushrods in the front. There are multiple builders who have done this, who can add details (can also be found in the Reflector Archive).

Just a thought.

Larry