REFLECTOR: N43KW Flies

Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list reflector at tvbf.org
Tue Jul 1 23:03:28 CDT 2014

Sorry this took a while.... Wish I didn't have to work for a living sometimes ;)

Sunday Morning. Density altitude about 6830'
Weight: 2082,
CG: 120.0
Static engine RPM (V-6)  4250
Static prop rpm, about 2500.
Prop pitch...full fine.
Takeoff roll, about 1930'
Climb out : engine RPM hit the rev limiter of 5000 rpm pulling strong.
Climb out speed: 100-110 kts.
Obviously need to limit the fine side of the prop a bit. Speed kept below 130, but the RV-7 chasing me couldn't catch up. Need to check airspeed calibration.

Found nasty gunk in the radiators on the upstream side only. Flow impeded for sure. In the pic, the large piece was at least 2.5" x4.5". Much more being removed. Removed some before the pic!
Best I can tell is that there was some odd reaction between the Evans NPG+ coolant I am using and the recommended "coolant tabs" that we're in the system. (Coolant tabs are GM & Cadillac recommended additive designed to seal porosity in aluminum heads & blocks. It's is supposed to prevent coolant "weep")

Cleaning the entire cooling sys. and replacing the heater core in the nose. It's acts as Boost cooling &/or cabin heat. A few other things on my list, but hope to be back in the air in a couple days.

Also changed to a Fail-Open thermostat a a slightly lower temp.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again for your interest & support.
Kurt

Sent from my iPad