REFLECTOR: Panel layout opinions

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Fri Jan 31 12:39:58 CST 2014

I don't suppose those big screens could be turned vertical?

I think both big screens side by side are fine.  The engine display off
to the right will be easily seen.  Where is RPM shown?  You'll want to
keep an eye on that, and MAP if you are turbo, and since they are used
on takeoff should be close to right in front of you.  That's my biggest
complaint with my setup.  I made the RPM gauge a small one.

I like overhead switches.  You'll probably want to make your own panel
to get more room overhead.

I made my panel removable.  It takes about an hour to remove, and
another hour to reinstall.  I've done this a dozen times since first
flight.  I highly recommend it, but it will eat up some panel space for
the flanges.  I used about three inches off each side that are attached
to the fuselage, pretty much like your engine controls are.

There's probably not enough room for your gear indicator there.

The indicator lights may be obscured by the eyebrow.