REFLECTOR: Fixed gear blow out

John Abraham john at velocityaircraft.com
Fri Jan 24 06:38:13 CST 2014

Chris,

You should be getting at least a 1.5" toe in on each side with weight on the
plane.  (1.5 each side towards nose, not 3 out on one side and 2 in on the
other or the plane will track sideways.

A toe out situation you can notice on takeoff and landing as you would feel
the plane skipping around as the gear springs back together.  How much taxi
testing have you done.  If you are ending up on the inside of the tires and
you had set the toe-in I would look at the base of the gear leg.  Make sure
that near the axle isn't bowed out.  If so the heat from the brakes have
gotten to your gear leg and warped them.  The main problem isn't when you
taxi out and takeoff, it is when you land fast (or taxi fast) and then go
park the plane and the heat can sit in one spot and heat up the leg.
Especially if you turn the aircraft 90 degrees tight and stop in a parking
spot and leave it.

If you are pushing the plane back in the hanger to maneuver other planes
this will also cause your gear to spread, which it should when you go
backwards.  We typically lift under the wing tips to allow the gear to suck
up back into place.

Tire blow outs I would also inspect to make sure the tube wasn't pinched in
the rim.  It won't necessarily blow right away filling it.  It does on a
landing due to the instant spin of the wheel though an causes it to tear
away from where it is pinched.

You should be wearing towards the outside of the tires if you have enough
camber.  The middle to outer 1/3rd of the tire should wear faster than the
inside and then flip at half its life.  When at gross the tires may be in
the center due to the weight of the gear and the spread.

Anyway, glad you and the plane are ok.

Fly Safe,

                      John Abraham

Chief Pilot, Executive V.P. Sales and Marketing

         4103

                  200 W. Airport Drive

                  Sebastian, FL 32958

             <http://www.velocityaircraft.com/> www.velocityaircraft.com