REFLECTOR: Fuel System install

jeff findarle flynfindarle at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 4 22:09:59 CST 2014

Here is a real life story about a FUEL EXHAUSTION near catastrophe:
I owned a Piper PA140 Super Cruiser based out of Oakdale Ca. I flew a night flight to Sacramento Metro to drop off a friend. At Sac Metro I saw my hanger neighbors plane. A Cessna 182 # 44X. As I was clearing the runway for takeoff I heard the tower clear 44X for departure. I called my neighbor 44X on the radio unicom and said lets see if he catches me before we get to our home base (90 Miles away). As I called in for a left downwind at Oakdale, 44X called in right behind me. And he being faster I asked him if he'd like me to turn out of the Pattern and let him pass. He said no that he will just slow down.
Next morning I went out to fly and went to the Fuel pumps to fill up. The FBO then told me a very scarry story. He had heard us speaking on the unicom the night before. Apparently he had an order to go fuel 44X earlier that morning, Upon looking at the top of 1 wing tank on 44X, he saw the cap was gone. He then looked into the tank and saw the bladder was pressed close to the top of the tank. He then went to the other tank (Cap was still in place) and removed the cap and saw the tank was almost empty. He then draind the fuel to see how much was left in that tank. 1 Quart of Fuel!
Moral of the Story. Ck your fuel caps, then ck them again. My neighbor was 1 quart of 100LL from an off airport landing at night. An ugly feeling went thru me when I heard this story. I almost threw up.

Concerning our Velocity's - I wonder if on our planes if an inline anti backflow fuel valve that would not allow fuel to be siphoned back up into a tank might be a good idea. Just 2 simple anti backflow valves. No manual valves.
Any ideas?
Jeff

TEAM JEFF,
Jeff Findarle, GRI  &  Darin Heckel
Realtor                                          Realtor

AllStar Realty
575 N main St.
Heber City, UT. 84032

Jeff's Cell     435-503-0514
Darin's Cell  435-671-3957
Off.               435-654-9440
Fax               435-654-9437

Distressed Property Experts, Short Sales a Specialty!
Don't Lose it, Sell it!

On Friday, January 3, 2014 8:03 AM, Ron N VelocityXLFG <velocityxl at fastmail.fm> wrote:

Tough call, keep it simple with no valves or add complexity for a possible issue, both have merit.
>I do like the valve idea for the reason of removing sump tank with
    out draining the stakes. Had to do that once.
>But also this is not what I would call a regular activity and do not
    think it warrens the extra work ,cost ,complexity and risk .