REFLECTOR: Prop for IO360

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 10:15:26 CST 2014

Jerry,

Here's another bit of info for you.  I have a SE-LW Velocity with an
LIO-360 and have two fixed-pitch props.  Originally, I bought a Catto prop
and had been using it.  Its a 66x74 and gives me ~2050RPM static.  With a
low static like that, I would classify it as more of a cruise prop.  I also
have an older Catto prop that is a 64x76 that gives a static of 2300RPM.

I don't see wildly different performance with these two props.  If I would
have to pick, I think I'd go with the 64x76 prop (I currently have been
using it for the last few months).  It will cruise at 175ktas @ 2700RPM.
 At lower altitudes, I can go faster, but would overspeed the prop, but at
higher altitudes and LOP, I can cruise at 175ktas, 2700RPM with lower
power/fuel consumption.  The longer prop (66x74) has poorer takeoff/climb
performance (although I can't give you specific numbers) and will cruise at
175ktas with a little lower RPM, but at altitude and LOP, I don't think I
could go any faster with it.

For you with short wing, though, I think the 64x76 might not be enough prop
and you'd want to go with maybe a 66x76, or something with a bit more
pitch.  You should be able to go faster than I can with the lower drag
wing, I would think.

Geoff