REFLECTOR: Fuel system install

Lawrence Epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 3 08:59:29 CST 2014

No valves:
Advantage:

KISS (Fewer failure modes/points)

Valves:
Advantage (Depends on location/# of valves);

Fuel Shut off in case of fire

Fuel shut off for Maintenance

Switching tanks to correct for imbalance.

Tough to argue with KISS, especially considering that the majority of
mechanical failures are related to the fuel system.

On the other hand, there are advantages.
I used 2 Solenoid, high flow NO (Normally Open or Fail Open) valves (1 on
each tank). These are only closed if powered. They are connected to a 3 way
switch which is either centered (no power to either and both open) right
(left tank closed) or left (right tank closed). Again, majority of time,
this is in center position. Electric power or valve fails, it (they) are
(both) open.
I also put a mechanical fuel shut off (after the sump) which can be closed
in flight (in case of fire).

Larry Epstein
173 FGE