REFLECTOR: Fuel System install

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 3 08:02:04 CST 2014

Hi Glenn,

Regarding your first question, use of a fuel tank selector valve, you might
want to check the canard aviators newsgroup logs as this was discussed
much.  The net is, there is a real risk of fuel exhaustion if you choose to
have both tanks flow into a common sump without a way to switch tanks.  The
issue is, if you have a leak on one tank, you stand the risk of draining
both tanks.  And this DOES happen... many folks through the years have
failed to fully latch a fuel cap, had it come off in flight, and (depending
on specific conditions), the fuel can exit that tank, and it can suck the
fuel out of the opposite tank too.  It apparently can happen quickly.  This
is one of the key reasons that all certified planes have a fuel selector
valve.  Mike Melville wrote a very eloquent post on this topic, strongly
recommending a valve.

For the record, I didn't build my airplane with a valve (it's a STD-RG that
I've had flying since 1997), so I am at risk for this situation.

Dave

Dave T. Nelson
T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Glenn Falkenberg <airmech2 at gmail.com>