REFLECTOR: Franklin Engine

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sun Feb 23 15:47:20 CST 2014

Your CHTs are way higher than mine (250 F in summer at cruise, 210 or
less in winter (@ oat 50 F).  I'm measuring CHT on the cool side of the
cylinder.  I'm wondering if my CHTs are too low and resulting in more
lead deposits which may be causing detonation.  When my engine had <500
hours I ran my EI at 32 degrees advanced with no problem also.  I may be
going to KS in the next 2 weeks.  Will you be around?

John

On 2/20/2014 5:02 PM, WJ Wilbeck wrote:

> That's interesting.  How many hours on your engine?  What are the CHTs?
>
> Reply:
>
> Just over 500 hours on a new PZL Franklin
>
> Normal Cruise is lean of peak at +- 9 Gal/Hr.
>
> CHT 340 -- 380 will go higher if too rich at LOP.
>
> In Summer can climb 15K+ at 100 knots & not break CHT red line of 390.
>
> Sure I fought High Oil & CHT.
>
> Fix for me:
>
> Set ignition no more than 32 degrees
>
> Added 2^nd oil cooler on top of engine with additional NACA& Plenum
>
> Added 3 additional exits to bottom cowl.
>
> CYL 5 &6 can get hot if mixture not set right.
>
> I believe cause is blow-by on rings & will hone and install new rings
> this spring.
>
> I have been told the PZL Franklin has chrome barrels & Rings and that
> it would never seat the rings until changed to Cast Rings
>
> We shall see.
>
> WJ Wilbeck
>
> 620-727-3596

---