REFLECTOR: It's been really quiet this week

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 18 15:58:36 CST 2014

It's best to have both spark plugs fire at the same time..

Steve

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:52:29 -0600
From: aminetech at bluefrog.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: It's been really quiet this week

    On 2/18/2014 2:53 PM, Brian Michalk
      wrote:

      Hmm.  Interesting.  It's certainly
        easy enough for me to change.  I can simply enter a new value of
        25BTDC in the software in flight.

        I suppose I will also turn off the magneto and see if the gasket
        thermocouple temperatures go down.  I'd leave the magneto at
        it's current setting of 28BTDC.  If the temps go back up with
        the magneto, then that's a strong indicator that it should be
        retarded.

        I wonder if I should switch back to a massive plug?  I was using
        Autolite 386, until an airport buddy told me to dump them in the
        trash.

    With the proper timing, my $2 auto plugs work great and seem to last
    much longer than massive plugs.  With the mag off, you'll probably
    lose power and see high egts.  I got good results once running the
    mag at 32 degrees and the EI at 24.  I think what that does is make
    the combustion start slower so you don't get a big burn rate at TDC
    where no energy can be transferred to the crank.  Running both at 24
    degrees gives similar performance.

    John