REFLECTOR: Franklin Fuel Injection

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Feb 17 13:27:12 CST 2014

I made a set of intake manifolds out of stainless that are much lighter
than stock.  They look just like exhaust manifolds.  I have some CAD
drawings that I made that you could send out to have someone fabricate
for you.

I'm using Bosch fuel injectors pointing at the intake valve, one
injector per cylinder.  I can tune the mixture for each cylinder.

Waterman Racing fuel pump that I machined an adapter for so it will fit
a standard accessory pad.

Airmotive Research fuel pressure regulator set to 45PSI.

Autronic SMC racing engine control unit.  I threw away their supplied
harness because they broke some fundamental wiring rules in an attempt
to make a simpler harness.

Bosch electric backup fuel pump.

The fuel flows from the sump to a splitter.  One goes to the electric
pump, one goes to the mechanical pump.  After each pump is a filter,
then check valve where the two paths rejoin.  Fuel goes to the regulator
where the excess is returned to the sump.

I tested my mechanical pump this weekend, and it generated 180PSI of
fuel pressure using a battery operated drill.  My fuel flow sensors show
that on mechanical pump only, it's generating about twice the required
fuel flow.

I have not tuned in the mixture to my liking yet.  It's difficult, and
really requires to people in the airplane to do it properly, but I'm
burning about 7 gph per flight now.  With an IVO, I'm getting 2250RPM
static.

I can provide more engineering details if you are interested.

One problem I'm having is the fuel pump is getting heat soaked after
landing.  I think it's conducted from the engine.  It won't make fuel
pressure when its hot, and I think the fuel is just vaporizing once it
gets to the pump.  I've insulated the pump, and am considering some sort
of thermal barrier to place on the AND20000 engine pad.