REFLECTOR: ADS-B Questions

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Feb 17 08:57:34 CST 2014

The ADS-B traffic info has shattered my illusion that I'm the only one
flying out there.  It can get a bit distracting when I see a plane that
appears to be on an intersecting path and I keep looking for it and
don't see it because it's too far away.  Gotta get used to that.  There
are several numbers displayed with each plane icon. Does anyone know
exactly what all the numbers are?  Altitude - actual, msl, or relative
to me?  Also what are the vertical and horizontal range limits for
reported traffic?  I assume that I will not see a jet at FL 400.  A
small percentage of the time I see the ADS-B icon for my plane which is
a bit ahead of my moving map icon. The moving map icon is behind my
actual position according to ground references.  Should I be getting the
ADS-B icon for my plane, or should it not be there to avoid confusion
with the moving map icon?

Thanks,

John

---